Football concludes camp with scrimmage
The Army West Point Football team closed out its preseason fall camp with a scrimmage Aug. 13 at Michie Stadium.
Head coach Jeff Monken concluded his third camp at the helm of the program. The offense scored twice, while the defense and punt coverage team forced turnovers.
The Black Knights played under sunny skies and hot and humid conditions at West Point. The team shuttled out the first, second and third team offenses throughout the scrimmage and provided multiple water breaks due to the extreme heat.
• The offense scored on its opening drive with an 75-yard scoring march;
• The drive included six-straight first downs and Darnell Woolfolk plunged in from one-yard out for the first touchdown of the day;
• The offense took advantage of a fumble on a kickoff as Cole Macek scored from 11 yards out for the second score of the scrimmage;
• Eddy Ruzga blocked the extra point, going up the middle and getting his finger tips on the ball to force it wide;
• Nick Schrage boomed a 65-yard punt that pinned the ball inside the 10 yard line. Schrage was a place kicker in 2015, but is the Black Knight’s top punter;
• The defense got a stop to start the second quarter as Calen Holt blew up a reverse in the backfield;
• Tim Garner also had a long punt that was 50 yards and got inside the 10 yard line;
• Malik McGue scampered for 24 yards late in the second quarter for the longest run of the scrimmage;
• Glen Coates took a wide receiver reverse for a first down and a gain of 23 yards;
• The offense was going in for a score when McGue mishandled the snap and Anthony Battaglia recovered for the defense.
First Team Offense: QB Ahmad Bradshaw, RB Darnell Woolfolk, RB Tyler Campbell, RB Jordan Asberry, WR Edgar Poe, WR Jeff Ejekam, OL Colby Enegren, OL Justin Gilbert, OL Joshua Boylan, OL Mike Houghton and OL Brett Toth.
First Team Defense: DL John Voit, DL Raymond Wright, DL Eddy Ruzga, OLB Kenneth Brinson, ILB Andrew King, ILB Jeremy Timpf, OLB Alex Aukerman, DB Brandon Jackson, DB Marcus Hyatt, DB Xavier Moss and DB Max Regan.
Upcoming Week: The Black Knights returned to classes on Monday morning and Army was back on the practice field Tuesday. The Black Knights kick off the 2016 schedule at Temple Sept. 2 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.
Changes to 2017 Schedule: Army West Point Athletics announced a few changes to the 2017 football schedule.
The up-to-date slate is available on GoArmyWestPoint.com.